When planning your vacation to the Galapagos Islands, you might be surprised at the amount of money you’re going to have to spend. While it’s not an expensive destination by any means, you can rack up a big bill if you’re not careful. The more time you want to spend exploring the islands, the higher that price tag can get.
Fortunately, there are ways to enjoy the Galapagos Islands without breaking the bank. With some knowledge on how to get around a travel site or the ways to cut costs, you can book a budget-friendly Galapagos cruise with ease. Plus, you might find yourself saving even more money in the process.
Why Everyone Is Booking Galapagos Cruises
If you are looking for an unforgettable holiday, the Galapagos Islands, located off the coast of Ecuador, offer some of the most scenic views that can be found anywhere in the world.
In addition to the views, the islands have plenty of amazing opportunities for visitors to explore. They include:
- Diversity in Wildlife: Over 7,000 species are native to the Galapagos Islands.
- Perfect Climate: Since the islands are on the Equator, there is no bad time to visit in terms of weather and temperature.
- Great for Stargazing: The Galapagos Islands are a prime location for stargazing since there is little to no light pollution. Better yet, as it is situated on the Equator, stargazers can see constellations and stars from the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
- Easy to Combine with Land Tours: In order to reach Galapagos Islands, tourists need to fly in from the mainland. As a result, it is fairly easy to combine your cruise with a land tour of Ecuador or Peru.1
How Much Does a Galapagos Cruise Cost?
According to Adventure Life, the average cost of a Galapagos cruise is $3,000. However, prices can vary from $1,000 for short, cheap cruises to $10,000 for long, luxury cruises. If you’re rolling in the dough, you can charter your own private cruise for as little as $40,000.
The cost of the cruise will depend on the type of boat and the duration of the cruise. So, the better the boat and the longer the cruise, the more expensive the trip will be. For duration, you will usually find four-, five-, eight-, or 15-day cruises.2
Traveling to Galapagos on a Budget
If you’re thinking that a Galapagos cruise may be out of your budget, think again. Luckily, there are a few ways that you can save on Galapagos cruise prices.
- Travel in the Low Season: The high seasons for the Galapagos Islands are July, August, the end of November, Christmas, and New Year’s. Booking any other time of the year will save you money.
- Book a Smaller Boat: Smaller boat tend to be less expensive than large boats.
- Take a Shorter Cruise: Cruise prices are usually broken down into a daily rate. As such, four- and five-day cruises will be up to 50 percent cheaper than eight- and 15-day cruises.3
Galapagos Cruises to Book for 2022/2023
The Galapagos Islands are one of the most popular destinations in the world. Since so many people want to experience this special place, there are plenty of cruises to choose from. In fact, there may be a little too many to choose from.
To help narrow things down, here are some of the best Galapagos cruises to book in the coming months.
4 Day North and Central Galápagos Cruise
This four-day cruise from Galapatours allows you to enjoy the best of the Galápagos Islands without breaking your budget. You will:
- Visit Bartholomew Island;
- Watch birds in Darwin Bay;
- Explore Genovesa Island on foot, and;
- Take a bus tour through Santa Cruz Island.
From exotic wildlife to gorgeous landscapes, you get a quick sample of everything that the Galapagos Islands has to offer on this four-day cruise. Plus, the cruise with some great amenities like covering all meals and travel to and from the ship and offering snorkel gear free of charge.4
5 Day Galapagos Southeast Islands Cruise
A five-day cruise is perfect for those who want to a little more time to visit some of the more popular destinations in the archipelago.
From San Cristobal to Floreana, this cruise from Adventure Life offers a comprehensive tour of Galapagos’ southern islands. As part of the tour, you can engage in activities such as wildlife viewings, hiking, and/or snorkeling.
If you are travelling as a family, Adventure Life may offer a couple of discounts to sweeten your vacation. First, children under 12 years old receive 50 percent off — 25 percent off during the holiday season — when sharing a cabin with two full-paying adults. Also, children under 12 may receive discounts of up to 50 percent on Galapagos flight fares and entrance fees.5
8 Day Eastern Galapagos Catamaran Cruise
If you’re looking for an unforgettable vacation, book yourself a trip aboard the Seaman Journey for an eight-day cruise of Galapagos’ eastern islands. This incredible cruise will take to several islands in the archipelago to experience the incredible wildlife and landscapes.
While a smaller ship, the Seaman Journey offers top-of-the-line luxury. This includes superior comfort, intimate dining, gourmet meals, and friendly staff boat. With all meals, kayaking equipment, and snorkeling gear included in your ticket price, there’s no need to spend any more money than what you’ve already invested in this once-in-a-lifetime experience.6