How to Pay Less for Diabetes Medications
Things You May Like
A person’s must-have medications shouldn’t cost thousands of dollars annually, but that’s the reality for people living with diabetes. Insulin is a necessary medicine for the 35 million Americans living with diabetes. According to Forbes, it retails anywhere from $175 to $300 per vial.¹ This quickly adds up as most people require two to three vials per month, which could accumulate to nearly $11,000 per year without help from insurance. Fortunately, with a search online, you can find plans that help make medication more affordable.
Drug savings plans are available to purchase that allow diabetics to buy their medication without breaking the bank. To find a plan that works for you, start an online search to see what’s currently being offered.
Siam.pukkato / Shutterstock
Here are some plans that can help diabetics pay less for their medication.
If you’re looking for a savings plan, check out the one offered by Novo Nordisk. Qualifying customers could pay as little as $10 for a 30 day prescription of their medication.² There are various medications and payment plans to choose from depending on your needs as a diabetic.
To find out exactly how much you will have to pay, you can contact a NovoCare representative over the phone during certain hours. You can also fill out an online form anytime and receive a response in minutes. Just make sure to have the information from your prescription insurance card handy.
You can also have a free conversation with a diabetes health coach to talk about your goals, give advice, and answer any questions that come up. They are available to chat over the phone, through texting, or by email.
Those under a federal or state health care program with prescription drug coverage are not eligible for reimbursement.
Another affordable way to buy your diabetes medication is through Lilly USA. You could pay as little as $25 per month regardless of the dose you have been prescribed. There is even support available for people who have lost their job or access to health insurance and require help paying for treatment.
Around 92 percent of prescriptions cost between $0 and $30 monthly with the remaining cost average at $239 per month.³ Ultimately, individual costs will be dependent on your insurance coverage. You can receive personalized assistance on a Lilly USA plan by calling the hotline.
Keep in mind that cards emailed to you do not have to be activated. However, cards given to you by a doctor require online activation.
Find out more about how Lilly USA can help by talking to one of their customer representatives today.
Saving Options for Diabetics on Medicare
There are significant savings that diabetics can receive on medication if they are enrolled under certain Medicare health plans. Depending on which plan you have, you can receive coverage on everything from medication to testing to education services.
To receive coverage on medication, you will need to have Medicare Part D. This drug coverage helps seniors pay for medications to manage blood glucose, insulin injections, and inhaled insulin. It can also help pay for the necessary supplies for injections like syringes, needles, and gauze.
There is more diabetic coverage under Medicare Part B. According to AARP Medicare Plans, Medicare can help pay for:
- Diabetes self-management training;
- Medical nutrition therapy;
- Hemoglobin A1C tests;
- Foot exams and treatment for nerve damage related to diabetes;
- Therapeutic shoes or inserts, and;
- Eye test for glaucoma.
Medicare Part B can also pay for blood glucose testing supplies, insulin pumps, and insulin. You can usually expect Medicare to pay for 80 percent of the cost.⁴ This leaves you responsible for 20 percent of the approved amount after the yearly deductible is met. The amount you pay for things under Part D will depend on your specific plan, which can vary from customer to customer.
Search Online to for Medication Saving Plans
The rising costs for diabetics can make it difficult to afford medication and other necessary health services. In fact, the American Diabetes Association says that the total cost of diagnosed diabetes has risen from $245 billion to $327 billion in just five years.⁵
You should be able to access your medication without worrying about whether you can actually afford it. That’s why medication saving plans are worth looking into.
If you’re thinking of taking a new medication related to a certain savings plan, make sure to discuss it with your doctor beforehand. They can go over the possible side effects and ensure that it will properly meet your needs as a diabetic.