It’s no secret that our bodies change as we age, and it can become more challenging to do things we used to take for granted. This can be especially true when it comes to climbing stairs. In fact, this simple everyday task can become a real challenge for many seniors. And in some cases, it may become too difficult to do without help. That’s why chairlifts are so useful.
Chairlifts for seniors are becoming an increasingly popular choice. They’re a great way to help families with seniors living at home. That’s because they provide a way for them to get up and down the stairs safely and easily. Chairlifts also enable seniors to stay active and independent, which can lead to improved mental and physical health. So, chairlifts have a lot to offer.
What Are Chairlifts?
A chairlift, also known as a stairlift, is a type of chair that moves along a rail to take someone up and down the stairs. As a result, they’re a great way to help seniors living at home. Chairlifts can be installed along a variety of staircases, whether it’s a straight or curved staircase.
If you or a loved one are having trouble with the stairs, then chairlifts are a solution worth exploring. Chairlifts have many benefits, including increased safety and independence. Let’s take a closer look at the benefits that can make installing a chairlift a life-changing solution.
The Benefits of Chairlifts
Chairlifts provide several benefits for seniors. Here are some of the main advantages to consider.
- Improves accessibility: One of the benefits of installing a chairlift is that it makes a home more accessible for seniors. With a chairlift, a senior can move between floors by pushing a switch. So, seniors don’t have to limit themselves to one floor.
- Prevents accidents: Another benefit of getting a chairlift is that it can help prevent injuries. Falls and trips are a risk for seniors, especially walking up and down stairs. So, chairlifts are a way to improve safety.
- Increases independence: The benefits of installing a chairlift also include increased independence, which can positively affect mental health. After a chairlift is installed, seniors can freely move around their homes without the help of a caregiver.
- Economical solution: Installing a chairlift is more affordable than buying a new house or moving to a senior living community, so relative affordability is another benefit. Chairlifts generally cost between Rs. 1,00,000 to 1,50,000.1
- Easy for seniors to use: Another great benefit of getting a chairlift is that they’re easy to operate. Seniors just need to sit, put on the seatbelt, and press the switch. This makes it easy for seniors to get up and down the stairs with little effort.
Allows Seniors to Age at Home
Overall, allowing seniors to age at home may be the biggest benefit of installing a chairlift. A study found that nearly 90% of seniors want to continue living in their current home as they get older.2 A chairlift can make that wish a reality.
With a chairlift, seniors with mobility issues can remain at home and gain greater independence. Additionally, their family gets the benefit of peace of mind since chairlifts make aging at home safer. So, senior chairlifts have many benefits.
Things To Consider When Buying a Chairlift
When purchasing a chairlift, there are a few things to keep in mind. Firstly, decide if you need any special features like a swivel seat. A swivel seat, for instance, can help people with disabilities. Secondly, make sure you buy a chairlift that meets your weight and height.
Next, consider your budget. Certain staircases can increase the price — for example, chairlifts for curved staircases tend to cost more.3 So, those on a strict budget may want to look into refurbished chairlifts to help cut down on the cost.
Finally, you’ll also want to research the company before buying a chairlift. Check how quickly they can install the chairlift and how fast they respond to serving requests. Should the chairlift need to get fixed at some point, you want to make sure it gets back up and running quickly.
Improving Quality of Life With a Chairlift
Installing a chairlift is a great decision you can make for yourself or your elderly loved ones. Not only does a chairlift help keep seniors safe and independent, but it also improves the quality of life for seniors in several other ways.
From improving physical health to improving mental health, chairlifts have a host of benefits that are sure to enhance the lives of seniors. If you’re considering installing a chairlift in your home, then be sure to thoroughly research your options.